The firm J&G Meakin was started in 1851 when brothers James and George joined their father also called James, James the younger was based in England managing the pottery works and the shipping for the export markets of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States. George went to America to set up a sales team
From around 1970, designs included Liberty, Sterling, Trend, Classic and Heirloom. Some of these were influenced from earlier designs. The newer wares can be distinguished by backstamp markings such as 'permanent colours' or 'dishwasher proof'.
J & G Meakin had close family and corporate affiliations to the pottery Johnson Brothers, and Alfred Meakin, which explains why many patterns are similar, if not almost exactly the same.
The firm was taken over by the Wedgwood Group in 1970. In 2000 production under the Meakin name ceased and their long-established works, Eagle Pottery, was then used for the production of Johnson Bros pottery. Eagle Pottery closed in 2004 when production was transferred abroad in 2004; the works were demolished in 2005.